Yum      

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hot Italian Chicken Sausage & Broccoli
Drumstick 
I can't even begin to describe just how much I'm enjoying chicken sausage instead of the usual pork for my Italian cooking and other meals! It cooks up so fast, even, low in calories and contrary to what anyone says, it tastes delicious. Not the same, just delicious.
These low calorie meals you see me making are becoming a big staple in my house now that I've started eating healthier. They are LOW in calories so you can really fill your plate and not walk away from the table hungry.

Hot Italian Style Chicken Sausage & Broccoli

serving size: 2 links & 1 or 2 cups of broccoli

Serves 4

calories per serving: about 209 - that's right, 209 (check calories on sausage label for the brand you use and adjust accordingly.

ingredients:
  • Chicken sausage links - Italian style (seasoned) and it's up to you if you want the hot or mild flavor
  • FRESH broccoli florets (you can use frozen if absolutely necessary)
  • Garlic to taste
  • Salt & pepper to taste
  • Italian seasoning herbs (those little McCormick grinders with pre-mixed herbs are perfect for this!)
Cook the sausage until done.
While these are cooking, prepare your broccoli into bite sized chunks.
Set aside and leave the "juice and grease" from them in the pan. There shouldn't be too much grease and if it looks a little dry, heat up that pan and de-glaze it a bit with some water.
Throw in your broccoli florets into that pan, grind some of that spice mix on and let them steam until they start to soften.
Add a little salt, pepper and garlic and stir.
Add the sausages back in and simmer a little more, about 3 minutes - but don't over cook!
Serve hot with a side salad.

*options: sprinkle red pepper flakes during the last bit of simmering (about 3 minutes)
Squeeze some lemon juice on for the last 3 minutes.
Simmer / de-glaze with white wine with or without lemon juice.
Grate some fresh Parmesan or Asiago cheese on top of each serving.

[Image: PancakeBunny.jpg] I have no idea what you're talking about so here's a bunny with a pancake on it's head