Yum      

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spaghetti Squash Bowls
Drumstick 
Spaghetti squash is a very underrated vegetable. I can't get enough of the stuff. It is easy to cook and it's a great substitute for pasta when you're cutting calories. At 42 calories per cup, (baked) how can you go wrong?

This recipe is so easy to make and it's low in calories.

ingredients:
  • 2 chicken breast halves, boneless
  • 1 whole spaghetti squash
  • 1 - 2 cups mushrooms - sliced
  • 1 large onion, sliced or diced ( your preference)
  • 1/4 c. shredded sun dried tomatoes
  • 1-2 cups ANY green veggie you prefer (broccoli, asparagus, zucchini, spinach etc)
  • drizzle of olive oil
  • salt & pepper to taste
  • Italian herbs (I like those little spice grinders with a mix of herbs in there already)
  • Red pepper flakes (just a pinch)

Pre-heat your oven to 400º F

Cut your squash in half lengthwise and take out the seeds.
Brush your squash with olive oil or if you're watching calories, spray it with your favorite butter substitute spray (I use Olivio brand).
Place the halves face down on a lightly oiled (or spray with PAM) baking dish.
Poke holes in the skin so it vents.
Let this cook about an hour or less - the skin has to be able to be pierced with a metal pick or fork easily all around. It'll be somewhat "soft".

While that is cooking prepare the rest of the ingredients and when the squash is nearly done, start sauteing your chicken breast and vegetables.

Season & saute the chicken and put aside. Save the "juice" and throw in the onions.
Saute the onions until soft and then throw in all the other ingredients and spices, salt & pepper and saute on a fast, hot flame. You don't want to over do the veggies!

Add the red pepper flakes for the last minute of cooking the veggies.

When all is done, cut your chicken into bite sized pieces for each squash half. Set aside.
Take your squash out of the oven and with a big fork, fluff up the insides so it looks like "spaghetti" and leave it in the "bowl" of skin.

Add as much of the veggie mix to each bowl that you want per serving.
Add the chicken.
Drizzle with some olive oil, salt, pepper and if you want some asiago or parmesan cheese.

Serve hot.

This is a dish you can really use your imagination with. Use any veggie combo you want. Add some tomato sauce if you want as well.

I'll get pictures next time I make this. I wasn't too concerned with presentation the first time I made this.
I'll also try to get a calorie count for you, but you're better off trying to figure calories for yourself because of the wide variety of vegetables that you can use. I made mine with onions, asparagus, mushrooms and sun dried tomatoes and the calorie count was 349.
[Image: PancakeBunny.jpg] I have no idea what you're talking about so here's a bunny with a pancake on it's head