Yum      

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
General Tso's Chicken
Meat 
This is taken from my Chinese cookbook. It is the authentic version of this common dish found in American Chinese restaurants.

Below is how it's made the authentic way - Hunan style. It is made to this day in China using this recipe. I make this allot throughout the year and it's wonderful!

From the book: Chinese Kitchen ~ by Eileen Yin-Fei Lo

General Tso's Chicken

Ingredients:
1 large egg, beaten
pinch of freshly ground white pepper
2 Tbsp cornstarch
2 large chicken legs with thighs, each 3/4 pund, boned, skinned, fat and membranes removed and cut into 1 inch cubes (1 pound when done) - I cheat, I buy bonelss breasts and cut into pieces. I dont like the dark meat. You can buy boneless dark meat if you want.

3 1/2 cups peanut oil
1 Tbsp cornstarch - for dusting
8 small dried hot chili peppers
1/4 cup finely sliced scallion

for the sauce:

2 1/2 Tbsp double dark sou sauce, dark soy sauce or mushroom soy sauce
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 Tbsp minced fresh ginger
2 Tbsp hoisin sauce
3 tsp sugar
3 tsp Shao-Hsing wine or dry sherry

In a bowl, mix together the egg, salt whit pepper, and 2 Tbsp cornstarch. Add the chicken cubes, mix to coat and marinate for at least 15 minutes. In a small bowl, combine the sauce ingredients an reserve.

Heat a wok over high heat for 40 seconds. Add the peanut oil and heat to 350°F. With tongs, remove the chicken cubes individualyy, dust with cornstarch, and place in the oil. Deep fry for 1 1/2 to 2 minutes, until the chicken is browned and crisp. Turn off the heat. Remove the chicken with a Chinese strainer and drain over a bowl.
Pour off all but 1 1/2 tablespoon of the oil from the wok.

Heat the wok over high heat for 20 seconds. When a wisp of white smoke appears, add the chilies and stir for 15 seconds. Add the scallion andstir for 30 seconds. Add the chicken and cook, stirring for 1 minute.
Stir the sauce mixture, pour into the wok, stir well and cook until the chicken cubes are completely coated with sauce, about 1 1/2 minutes. Turn off the heat, transfer to a heated dish and serve.
[Image: PancakeBunny.jpg] I have no idea what you're talking about so here's a bunny with a pancake on it's head