The Twitchin Kitchen

Full Version: Cucumber and Yogurt Salad
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Syria Lebanon and most of the rest of the Middle East

This salad is always in my refridgerator. It's wonderful, light and great as a side to any bbq meal in the summer months.

Cucumber and yogurt salad

Ingredients:
1 or 2 seedless (english) cucumbers
1 small clove garlic, crushed
1/2 teaspoon mint, fresh or dried, fresh preferred chopped fine
1 large container plain Greek yogurt. Don't use that non fat junk!

Peel cukes and slice into half 'moon' shapes
Place them in a strainer and sprinkle with 2 Tablespoons salt to make the water drain out, about an hour or so.
Rinse off the salt and pat dry.

Crush the garlic, chop the mint and place in a bowl with about 1/2 the yougurt. Stir well to get all the flavors in!
Toss in the cukes and mix with the yogurt. Add enough yogurt to cover & mix well.
Cover the bowl.
Place in the 'fridge and let cool for a couple of hours.
Serve with any dish.

Variations: beat 3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil, 1 tbsp vinegar and 2 Tbsp chopped dillinto the yogurt.

For a cold soup, use regular, not strained yogurt and chop or grate the cucumber instead of slicing it.

A nice alternative is to use a mixture of sour cream and yogurt in equal amounts.

The Persian version, (which is nice and fragrant and called mast-o khiar) mixes in 3 - 4 Tbsp raisins and 1/2 cup chopped walnuts. Garnish with a few chopped or grated radishes and dried rose petals.

You can also make a nice dip using 1/2 and 1/2 yogurt and sour cream (use the Greek yogurt) and chopped dill. Serve this with pita chips.

EDIT - 6/25/10: I just made my first food video! I've appended this along with the variations to this post. Smile1 I think I did pretty good with only one blooper in there!

http://twitchinkitchen.com/videos/CYsalad2.flv