Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fresh Green Fava Beans w/ Rice & Yogurt
Veggie 
Syria Lebanon and other regions of the middle east

Fresh Green Fava Beans w/ Rice & Yogurt
Ful Ahday bel Roz wal Laban Zabadi

serves 6

You need young fava beans, not old tough ones. Some supermarkets sell them shelled in the season. Good quality frozen ones are also fine to use. I use small baby lima beans as in NJ you cannot find fava beans.

This dish can be served hot or cold. The yogurt can be poured over the rice or served in a separate bowl. I like to use individual ramikins for each guest. This way, they can pour on the rice to their own liking.

Ingredients:

1 1/4 cups American long grain white rice (any long grain white will do if you can't find American)
Salt
4-5 tablespoons mild extra virgin olive oil
bunch of dill or mint. finely chopped (I prefer dill)
White pepper
14 ounces shelled baby fava or baby lima beans
2 cups plain whole milk yogurt
1 clove garlic, crushed (optional)

Pour the rice into boiling salted water. Boil hard for about 14 minutes, until it is almost but not entirely tender. Drain and [put back into the pan.
Stir in 3 tablespoons of the oil, the herbs and salt & pepper to taste.
Put the lid on & leave the pan on very low heat for the rice to steam for about 15 minutes or until tender.

Boil the fava beans in salted water for a few minutes until tender, then drain. Stir gently into the rice with the remaining oil.

Serve rhot or cold with the yogurt, beaten with crushed garlic if you like and a little salt, poured over it. (or in little ramikins)
[Image: PancakeBunny.jpg] I have no idea what you're talking about so here's a bunny with a pancake on it's head