Yum      

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Eggplant bites!
Up 
OMG I came up with something low in calories and freakin' awesome to make. You can make your own breading or do a "cheat" like I did and use some left over Shake and Bake and doctor it up.

Eggplant Bites

calories: about 54 per cup

preheat oven to 400ºF

ingredients:
  • one large or two small (or as many as you like) eggplants
  • 1/2 cup breading or a package of Shake and Bake (any flavor you want)
  • olive oil spray
  • various spices to add to your breading mixture. I simply added in some dried rosemary. Fresh herbs would be so much better if you have them! skip this step if using Shake and Bake.
Peel or don't (your choice, I peel) your eggplant and cut into 1 inch cubes and place in a BIG bowl
In a smaller bowl, prepare your breading mixture.

Toss in the bread crumb mixture and toss, toss, toss until it's coated.
This is where it gets tricky. While your coating the cubes give them a light spray with the olive oil spray. Toss again, spray and repeat until you see the crumbs sticking nicely. They won't get too thickly coated and you don't want them to be.

NOTE: these do not thickly coat the vegetables, but rather put a "speckly" or sparse amount on. This is what you want. What you see in the picture cooked is what it looks like as far as coating uncooked.

lay a piece of parchment paper on the pan and put the eggplant on top of it. If you have a lot, use 2 pans. You don't want to crowd the pan.

BAKE at 400º until softened and done. KEEP WATCHING because they only take about half an hour or less depending on your oven and if you have other things in there with them cooking at the same time.

TOSS these about halfway through. Some caramelizing or crispiness will happen and this is a GOOD THING!

Serve hot and enjoy!

[Image: PancakeBunny.jpg] I have no idea what you're talking about so here's a bunny with a pancake on it's head