Yum      

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Twitchy's Tasty Meatloaf
Meat 
I hate meat loaf! But what do you do to fancy up chopped meat when you're on a budget, and have only this in the house for meat? Meat loaf of course! But mine's much tastier than any you all have made or had, I'm sure of it!

Twitchy's Meat Loaf

Ingredients:
2 pounds chopped meat
1 large onion - chopped
1 onion - sliced (reserve for cooking - don't mix in meat!)
1 clove garlic - crushed
teaspoon crushed rosemary
small handful oregano
very small handful salt
pepper to taste
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce (more or less to your taste)
4 eggs
Italian seasoned bread crumbs
Light olive oil for frying - not too much, just enough to cover the bottom of the pan
*option - handful or so of pine nuts*

In a large bowl, mix meat, 2 eggs, garlic, onions, oregano, salt, pepper, Worcestershire sauce until it's all mixed together well. Make a 'dent' in the center and toss in a good amount of bread crumbs. Mix well. Add another egg, more bread crumbs and adjust until this all comes to a nice workable consistency. It should be dry, not slimy from the eggs, and be able to hold a shape, kind of like a meatball. Keep adding bread crumbs or eggs until you find the right consistency.

Divide the mixture into 4 even lumps and shape each one into an oval meatball that's a little on the 'flat' side. Not too round, as you want it to stay put in the pan!

Take out a large heavy fry pan that you can put a lid on. Heat up the olive oil and place the small mini loaves you just made in to brown. Brown them on all sides until you get a nice rich brown coloring on each.

Lower the heat and slowly add water to the pan, deglazing it and just enough to cover the bottom of the meat, about an inch or so - the sliced onions, over the tops of the mini loaves and cover.
Let simmer for a good 45 mins or so, until they are done.

Serve each individual loaf for each person.
Side dishes to your choosing.

cheat hint: If you misjudge your cooking time and your little loaves are not quite done in the center, you can microwave them for one or two minutes to cook the centers to well done. This will no way take away from the texture or flavor because you already infused the meat by cooking it on the stovetop first!
[Image: PancakeBunny.jpg] I have no idea what you're talking about so here's a bunny with a pancake on it's head