Yum      

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Slow Cooker Recipes
OK I'm sticking this thread and it's going to be for ALL slow cooker/crock pot type of recipes.

PLEASE use the icons to indicate if it's a meat or veggie only dish.

If this gets very popular, I'll set up a specific forum for it and sub it out accordingly and move all the recipes there.

Find a whole mess of cookbooks for slow cooking here at Amazon.com
[Image: PancakeBunny.jpg] I have no idea what you're talking about so here's a bunny with a pancake on it's head
seafood 
Jiffy Lobster Newburg
This gourmet dish may be assembled in minutes - let the Crock-Pot be the chef!

Note: This recipe comes from a very old booklet that came from my Crock-Pot and I've never tried it. Sarah requested slow cooker recipes and I'm trying to help out!
  • 1 10 3/4 oz can condensed cream of shrimp soup
  • 3/4 cup evaporated milk
  • 5 oz canned or frozen lobster, flaked
  • 1 4 oz can sliced mushrooms, drained
  • 2 Tbsp dry sherry
  • 2 egg yolks, beaten

Place all ingredients except egg yolks in your cooker.
Stir thoroughly.
Cover and cook on low 4 to 6 hours.
Stir in yolks during the last hour.
Serve over hot rice, chow mein noodles or in puff pastry shells.

Recipe may be doubled.

Variation:
Shrimp Newburg - 1 1/2 cups cooked and drained shrimp may be substituted for lobster.
[Image: PancakeBunny.jpg] I have no idea what you're talking about so here's a bunny with a pancake on it's head
Meat 
Corned Beef and Cabbage
  • 3 carrots, cut in 3 inch pieces
  • 3 - 4 pound corned beef brisket
  • 2 - 3 medium onions, quartered
  • 3/4 to 1 1/4 cups water
  • 1/2 small head cabbage, cut in wedges

Put all ingredients except cabbage wedges in the cooker in the order listed (this is important!).
Cover and cook 8 to 10 hours on LOW. (5 to 6 on High)
Add cabbage wedges to liquid, pushing down to moisten, turn to high and cook an additional 2 - 3 hours.

Note: Vegetables may be varied or omitted for plain corned beef.

Cabbage: To prepeare more cabbage than the pot will hold with a large brisket, cook it separately in a pot or skillte.
Remove 1 cup of broth from the crock-pot during the last hour of cooking.
Pour over cabbage wedges in skillet, cover and cook slowly for 20/30 mins until tender.
Drumstick 
Company Casserole
  • 1 1/4 cups raw converted rice
  • 1/2 cup melted butter or margarine
  • 1 1/2 to 3 cups chicken broth
  • 3 to 4 cups cut up cooked chicken
  • 2 4 oz cans sliced mushrooms, drained
  • 1/2 cup soy sauce
  • 1 12 oz package frozen shelled shrimp
  • 8 green onions, chopped
  • 2/3 cup slivered almonds

Mix rice with melted butter or margarine in crock-pot.
Stir to coat rice thoroughly.
Add all remaining ingredients, except slivered almonds and 2 Tbsp green onions.
Stir well.
Sprinkle reserved almonds adn green onions over top. Cover and cook on Low 7 - 9 hours. (high 3 - 4 hours)
Thanks Twitchy

Whats converted rice?
Uncle Ben's Brand if you've ever seen it on the shelves. Just look for the box that says converted rice.

You know I've never used it myself but it's been around for ages.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Instant_rice

OK I Looked up converted rice and it's INSTANT rice.
Now why would a slow cooker recipe use instant rice instead of regular slow cooked rice? Makes no sense to me. But in that last recipe it calls for no additional water so I can see how it can work out.
It does have broth in it though - seems odd that the chicken and the rice are all ready cooked - I'd imagine that the rice will turn to mush and the chicken will turn to rubber, but I guess there is only one way to find out!!
You could always try it with regular rice and increase the water appropriately. I'd try it as is first and then see what I want to do for the next time.
I got this recipe from another forum. I'm making it tonight and it's really good, easy to put together, and no mess to clean up so I figured I'd share it. It can also be baked in the oven at 350 if you don't have time for the slow cooker. I usually double all the ingredients except for the meat because I like the extra vegetables and sauce.

Boogie Woogie Beef

1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
1/2 cup red wine
1 envelope Lipton beefy onion soup mix
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
2 pounds stew beef
8 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
8 ounces baby carrots

Mix cream of mushroom soup, wine, beefy onion soup mix and dried thyme in crockpot. Add meat, carrots, and mushrooms; and stir.
Cook on HIGH for 4 hours, then on LOW for 4 hours, or just cook on LOW for about 8 to 10 hours. Serve with egg noodles, rice, or potatoes.

Serves 4.