Yum      

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Almond or Pistachio Balls ~ Middle East
Cookie 
I made these over the holidays and they are absolutely exquisite! Nothing like you've ever tasted before and if you want to impress for a fancy meal, having these as part of the dessert course will leave a lasting impression for sure! I used pistachios for my cookies but do check the variations at the end for more suggestions.

Orass bi Loz
Almond Balls

Makes 22-24 balls

TIP: this recipe calls for superfine sugar. It's nearly impossible to find this by me for some reason so I made my own. Just put regular sugar in a food processor and have it spin for a short while.

Ingredients:
  • 2 cups ground almonds (or pistachios - see variations) - grind them fine
  • 1 cup superfine sugar
  • 1 or 2 drops almond extract (OPTIONAL - don't use if using pistachios)
  • About 3 Tbsp rose or orange blossom water
  • 12 blanched almonds or pistachio nuts to garnish (optional)
  • Confectioners sugar to roll the balls in at the end

Mis the ground almonds and sugar in a bowl.
Add the almond extract if you wish (I much prefer without), and rose or orange blossom water and work together with your hands. The mixture will seem dry at first, but the almonds (or other nuts) will release enough oil to bind the mixture.
Knead to a doughy paste.

Shape into 1 inch balls (about the size of a large marble) and roll in confectioners sugar. Place in small paper cups or on a plate and if you like, place a split almond or pistachio on top to decorate.

Variations:
  • Instead of 1 cup superfine sugar use 2 cups confectioners sugar.
  • Do the same recipe with ground pistachio nuts instead of almonds and stick a whole pistachio on top. These green balls are exquisite!
  • Stuff the almond balls with chopped pistachios. This is really superb. Make a little hole in each almond ball with your finger and fill it with chopped pistachios mixed with sugar. Close the hole over and shape into a ball again. Roll the balls in confectioners sugar and place them in small paper cups. Decorate the top of each with a whole or half pistachio which has been stripped of its skin to make its "greenness" stand out.
  • In Iraq, almond paste, colored yellow with moistened saffron powder, is flattened in a tray and cut into small shapes and covered with gold-leaf paper. Thus adorned it is sent to friends by a bride's family to celebrate her wedding. Exquisite!

<-- clicky
[Image: PancakeBunny.jpg] I have no idea what you're talking about so here's a bunny with a pancake on it's head
These look great! I am gonna have to give them a try
Hello, my name is Angie and I am an Arabian Shortbread cookie addict. Giggle
Just go a little easy on the flower water as it can be very strong. I used rose water for mine and I had people ask me to make more. I was surprised because not many people will like that taste.

Go easy on the first batch and then you can adjust as you go 'round next time.
[Image: PancakeBunny.jpg] I have no idea what you're talking about so here's a bunny with a pancake on it's head
Good advice! I tend to go overboard when I am trying a new recipe because I get so excited...hahaha
Hello, my name is Angie and I am an Arabian Shortbread cookie addict. Giggle