Yum      

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chicken Fried Steak with Cream Gravy
Meat 
Unitedstates

This was probably made on the plains by the 'cookie' on a chuck wagon using buffalo. They probably thought of this way of cooking buffalo steaks as something 'different or creative' to do with the 'meals on wheels' of the day.

If you can get good buffalo steaks, pound them well and thin for this but for this recipe we're going to use cube steaks.

Chicken-Fried Steak with Cream Gravy

Ingredients:

4 cube steaks, around 5 oz each OR 4 small round steaks pounded real thin (use buffalo if you can get some!)
1 cup flour
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 1/2 cups milk
1/4 cup oil for frying
Salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste * I like lots of pepper on mine!

Season the flour with salt and pepper.
Dredge the meat in the flour mixture. Set aside on a plate.
Mix the egg with 1/2 cup milk. Dip the floured meat into the milk mixture and then into the flour again.

Pan fry the meat in a large heavy cast iron skillet in the oil. Brown on both sides and remove from the pain to drain on paper toweling. Keep warm on a serving platter in a warm oven.

Drain all the remaining fat from the pan except 2 Tbsp. Stir 2 Tbsp of the seasoned flour mixture and scrape the bottom of the pane carefully so that you remove all that lovely brown 'goodness' left over from frying that meat.

Using a wire whisk, in this same pan, stir in the rest of the milk and stir over medium heat until this makes a nice thick gravy. If the gravy becomes too thick, simply add a bit of milk to thin it down.

Taste the gravy for salt and pepper and adjust accordingly.
Serve the gravy over the meat you have keeping warm in the oven.

This goes wonderful with mashed potatoes, corn, a green salad and Cranberry Orange Relish!
[Image: PancakeBunny.jpg] I have no idea what you're talking about so here's a bunny with a pancake on it's head