Yum      

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Arabian Shortbread (butter cookies)
Syria Lebanon

OK so today I started on Shortbread and when browsing through my recipe books I came across the photo below and saw those lovely little diamond shape cookies with the pistaccio on top!
I remember these from my childhood!
I had no idea the Arabs made shortbread but I certainly do remember eating these! These cookies literally melt in your mouth and are light and so delicious. They do taste very similar to traditional shortbread as we know it but are much lighter.

I now have a hankering for these and I just might make some tonight and take a picture for you all.

Arabian Shortbread
Ghurayba

Ingredients:

1 1/2 cups butter ( 3 sticks UNSALTED!)
1 1/4 cups confectioners sugar
1 teaspoon orange blossom water (mazahar) * can be omitted if you can't find
1 egg yolk
3 cups flour
40 or so shelled pistaccios or blanched almonds

Place the butter, 1 1/2 cups of the confectioner's sugar, the orange blossom water and the egg yolk in a blender, then blend for 1 minute. Transfer to a mixing bowl then gradually add the flour while mixing with your fingers until a smooth dough is formed. form the dough into balls a little smaller than a walnut then place on an ungreased cookie sheet and flatten slightly to about 1/2 inch thickness.

Press a pistaccio (or almond) on each piece and bake in a 300°F oven for about 20 minutes and allow to cool. Then sprinkle with the remaining confectioner's sugar.

Note: the cookies may feel soft at the end of baking time but will harden as they cool.

UPDATE! The image below is one of my own cookies. I finally made a batch and got pictures of them to replace the one I scanned out of a book for this post.

[Image: PancakeBunny.jpg] I have no idea what you're talking about so here's a bunny with a pancake on it's head
Mmmm, these sound tasty. Will it make a huge difference in flavor if the orange blossom water is omitted? I could make these tonight if the flavor won't be compromised from not having the orange blossom water.
Hello, my name is Angie and I am an Arabian Shortbread cookie addict. Giggle
You know I have no idea. I do say you can omit if you can't find it but I never made it without and neither did grandma.

I say go for it. Let us know how you make out. But you do live close to so many middle eastern markets you should have no trouble finding any ingredients I have listed for Mid East food too.

This is your call.... either way, you are going to get hooked on these cookies!
[Image: PancakeBunny.jpg] I have no idea what you're talking about so here's a bunny with a pancake on it's head
I'm gonna go make them right now. I know I can get the orange blossom water at one of the mid east shops off 7 mile, so I'll make them without and then get the blossom water and make them again. I'll report my results...

Awink
Oh goodness!

I just put the first batch into the oven and noticed....I don't know how long they should bake..hahahahaha

I looked up shortbread cookies online and found a time of about 20 minutes. I hope that doesn't over cook your recipie. The smell heavenlyyyyyyyyy...Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Any-hoo,

I also didn't know how to form them into the diamond shapes because my batter was more like peanut butter cookie batter than anything I could cut with cookie cutters. So I am sure mine will not have that beautiful presentation that yours has. Just warning ya so when I post the pics don't laugh....

Tongue1
Cookie 
THESE COOKIES ARE SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO GOOD!!!!!!
[Image: shortbread.gif]

I forgot the nut on top. When I went upstairs to get the cam, my daughter took a piece of one cookie....

Thanx
Cookie 
Another pic of the cookies. This time with the nut in the center. These are sinfully delicious cookies....WHY DID YOU EVEN POST THIS RECIPE.... Tantrum I know I have gained about 20lbs just tasting them....hahahahaTease

[Image: shortbread3.gif]
Check the temperature of your oven for consistency. They look a little dark. They should look like they never were cooked like the pic I posted. (they're not mine but mine come out that same color)

I told you these were easy to make and you'll get hooked!

*countdown to how long the kids ask for another batch!
Twitchin Kitten Wrote:Check the temperature of your oven for consistency.

Yeah, I think the oven is off...waaaaayyyy off on temp. I made these over my MIL's and her oven is very old indeed. They were good nevertheless. I will make another batch just for comparison when I get the orange blossom water.

Awink
It's easy to find the right setting even on an old oven.
Just get an oven thermometer and set your temp with it in there. Watch it for about half an hour. Then adjust your oven up or down by the amount of degrees you see on your thermometer.
Let it set half hour more, check it for accuracy and now you know your setting to put on the oven temp dial when you pre heat.

On your next batch, the 'test' for getting them right is if they melt - literally - in your mouth when you eat them! They're very delicate and light.