Yum      

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Butternut Squash & Apple Casserole
Veggie 
Butternut Squash & Apple Casserole

This butternut squash casserole includes apples and is topped with a buttery spiced crumb topping with brown sugar.

INGREDIENTS:

1 small butternut squash (about 2 lbs)
2 apples, cored, peeled, sliced
1/2 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
4 tablespoons butter, cold
1 tablespoon flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg

Peel, seed, and cut squash into small slices. Place squash and apple slices in a baking dish, about 11- x 7-inches Combine brown sugar, flour, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg; cut in butter with fork or pastry cutter until crumbly. Sprinkle crumbs evenly over sliced squash and apples.

Cover and bake at 350°F for 45 to 55 minutes.
[Image: PancakeBunny.jpg] I have no idea what you're talking about so here's a bunny with a pancake on it's head
I printed out this recipe and I intend to make it very soon...It had my name written all over it...Meaning, simple & easy...There is no way I can screw this up.
You're going to love this recipe! It tastes more like a dessert than a side dish, very much like apple pie. I never had butternut squash before I made this and now I'm a huge fan.
[Image: PancakeBunny.jpg] I have no idea what you're talking about so here's a bunny with a pancake on it's head
I bought butternut squash along with a host of other veggies. I cut them into chunks and put them in a STEW! The taste was amazing. I had no idea you could use butternut squash in apple pie. Hahahaha
Hello, my name is Angie and I am an Arabian Shortbread cookie addict. Giggle
I didn't use it in apple pie silly I said the casserole tasted like apple pie! Awink)

Duchess, did you make this yet? I enjoy this in the winter months mostly.
Oooooooo!

Tease I thought you made an apple pie and cut some butternut squash into the filling. That actually sounds good. I think I am going to try it this weekend. I'll take pics.
Cool 
I made this dish and as I said, my family liked it as a dessert. It reminded me of an apple pie with a surprise in flavor (enter the butternut squash). I loved the way the brown sugar and other ingredients mix together for a tasty saucy flavor. I added some crushed graham cracker on top with whip cream and freshly cut red delicious apples.

Soooooooooooo good! This one is a definite keeperYahoo

[Image: ovenreadysoon.gif]
I haven't added the brown sugar mixture as yet

[Image: makingdessert.gif]
I tried to show some of the ingredients Smile1

[Image: bowlofdessert.gif]
The final product Abiggrin
Clap Drinks

Wow, those came out beautiful! This is a nice recipe for the winter isn't it? We adore it here as much as you do and I'm DEFINITELY going to try it like you did with the graham cracker topping.

Hmmmm I wonder how it would be with some kind of crumble on top like you would make for crumb cakes or coffee cake? Spiteful
(10-26-2008, 12:34 PM)Twitchin Kitten Wrote: Clap Drinks

Wow, those came out beautiful! This is a nice recipe for the winter isn't it? We adore it here as much as you do and I'm DEFINITELY going to try it like you did with the graham cracker topping.

Hmmmm I wonder how it would be with some kind of crumble on top like you would make for crumb cakes or coffee cake? Spiteful

Yeah, it's great for winter. If you do it with a crumble on top please take a pic and post crumble ingredients so I can replicate

Abiggrin
I've made this a few times now & it's wonderful! The very first time I made it I was seriously impressed with myself. It's quick, easy & delicious. It will forever be part of our Thanksgiving menu now {That was the first time I made it & it was a hit!}