The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable - Line: 906 - File: showthread.php PHP 7.3.33 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 906 errorHandler->error

Yum      

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Arabian Shortbread (butter cookies)
Syria Lebanon

OK so today I started on Shortbread and when browsing through my recipe books I came across the photo below and saw those lovely little diamond shape cookies with the pistaccio on top!
I remember these from my childhood!
I had no idea the Arabs made shortbread but I certainly do remember eating these! These cookies literally melt in your mouth and are light and so delicious. They do taste very similar to traditional shortbread as we know it but are much lighter.

I now have a hankering for these and I just might make some tonight and take a picture for you all.

Arabian Shortbread
Ghurayba

Ingredients:

1 1/2 cups butter ( 3 sticks UNSALTED!)
1 1/4 cups confectioners sugar
1 teaspoon orange blossom water (mazahar) * can be omitted if you can't find
1 egg yolk
3 cups flour
40 or so shelled pistaccios or blanched almonds

Place the butter, 1 1/2 cups of the confectioner's sugar, the orange blossom water and the egg yolk in a blender, then blend for 1 minute. Transfer to a mixing bowl then gradually add the flour while mixing with your fingers until a smooth dough is formed. form the dough into balls a little smaller than a walnut then place on an ungreased cookie sheet and flatten slightly to about 1/2 inch thickness.

Press a pistaccio (or almond) on each piece and bake in a 300°F oven for about 20 minutes and allow to cool. Then sprinkle with the remaining confectioner's sugar.

Note: the cookies may feel soft at the end of baking time but will harden as they cool.

UPDATE! The image below is one of my own cookies. I finally made a batch and got pictures of them to replace the one I scanned out of a book for this post.

[Image: PancakeBunny.jpg] I have no idea what you're talking about so here's a bunny with a pancake on it's head

Messages In This Thread
Arabian Shortbread (butter cookies) - by Twitchin Kitten - 04-12-2008, 01:10 PM